- Education should be free: funded through higher taxation on corporations and the rich.
- Education is a social, public good: universities should not be run for private profit.
- Universities should be democratically organised: directly controlled by staff and students.
We demand immediately from Edinburgh University:
- No legal or academic repercussions for anyone involved.
- Staff who take strike action on November 30th should have no pay deducted because of their action.
- Staff who refuse to cross picket lines despite not being in a union which is on strike should face no recriminations.
- That an all student email be sent out on the issue of the November 30th strikes outlining the position of management, UCU and EUSA.
- Free tapwater in all university cafes, putting the welfare of staff and students before profit.
- Withdrawal of the proposed 36k fees at Edinburgh University.
- Full and open consultation between management, staff and students concerning fees.
- No privatisation of education and no privately funded courses or research.
- No cuts to courses or compulsory redundancies.
- To guarantee no cuts to library, student support or learning resources.
- A living wage for all workers at Scottish universities including those subcontracted.
- Tutor should be paid for all the work they do; tutors need to be paid for enough time to provide proper feedback.
- University senior management must take the average salary of university staff, or resign.
- A public condemnation of the Westminster Government’s Higher Education White Paper.