Students from universities across Scotland are staging an occupation of an Edinburgh University lecture theatre in protest against significant increases in fees for ‘Rest of UK’ students.
Scottish university students, from Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews occupied the George Square Lecture Theatre at 1pm today (Friday 16th Sep) and will remain in occupation until they have entered into constructive dialogue with decision-making bodies.
Mike Shaw, an Edinburgh University student, said, “We will remain in occupation until our demands of Edinburgh University and Holyrood are met”
Amy Westwell, a Glasgow University student added, “In Scotland, we take great pride in our universities, for their excellence and accessibility. The extent to which fees have been raised is disproportionate to the financial needs of universities: this move undermines the values of the Scottish education system.”
Edinburgh University announced on the 5th of September that fees would increase from £1820 to £9000 for RUK students. St Andrews University have also set fees at the maximum threshold, and other Scottish Universities are expected to drastically increase tuition fees. There have been numerous student protests over the past year, including the occupation of Glasgow University’s Hetherington Research Club: the longest running student occupation in UK history.
- Solidarity statement with occupations around the UK
- Out From The Occupation & Off To The Pickets
- A Message of Support For Our Occupation From A Member of Staff…
- Statement from University of Edinburgh Occupation
- Edinburgh students stage sit-in in support of striking staff
- Useful resources on higher education reform
- Guest Post: What is The Value of Higher Education?
- Massive day of strikes and action against government cuts and attacks on pensions.
- Picket information for tomorrow morning
- Events in the next few days
- Wise words from our resident Soup Dragon
- Mythbuster: The truth about unions (and strikes)
- Walking bus
- Banners and giant posters!
- Our Demands
- RT @rupparti: End of Edinburgh occupation with @ann4rector - next phase and beyond https://t.co/CRG7M6LOaU 7 months ago
- RT @gbuttars: Edinburgh Uni occupation is over - but this is not the end …inburghfuturesinstitute.wordpress.com/2018/04/23/the… #WeAreTheUniversity 7 months ago
- RT @mcslaven: Students spent six weeks occupying a lecture theatre at Edinburgh University — in solidarity with striking staff, and in an e… 7 months ago
- RT @ucuedinburgh: The Final Word is No ucuedinburgh.wordpress.com/2018/04/13/the… via #USSStrike #RejectUUKDeal 8 months ago
- RT @DrLeeJones: The president of UUK confirms that her offer is only "an element of defined benefit". Their 12 March deal, which we rejecte… 8 months ago
- RT @ucuedinburgh: Carlo Morelli on why we should #RejectUUKdeal youtube.com/watch?v=SLv1kr… #USSstrike 8 months ago
- RT @Lighthousebks: We're keen to do an Edinburgh fundraiser to support #repealthe8th campaign in crucial final weeks- maybe a mini talk on… 8 months ago
- RT @EdiSolidarity: Our open letter to Principal Mathieson: …inburghfuturesinstitute.wordpress.com/2018/04/05/ope… @ucuedinburgh @ucu @EdinburghUni @eusa #WeAreTheUniversi… 8 months ago
- RT @pennytravlou: Teach-out "Housing Crisis: from gentrification to housing evictions" with film screening "Mietrebellen" https://t.co/HZZw… 8 months ago
- RT @NCAFC_UK: Students Stand in Solidarity with *No* vote in the @ucu ballot! “Now is not the time to accept an ambiguois proposal. A diff… 8 months ago