Students from universities across Scotland are staging an occupation of an Edinburgh University lecture theatre in protest against significant increases in fees for ‘Rest of UK’ students.
Scottish university students, from Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews occupied the George Square Lecture Theatre at 1pm today (Friday 16th Sep) and will remain in occupation until they have entered into constructive dialogue with decision-making bodies.
Mike Shaw, an Edinburgh University student, said, “We will remain in occupation until our demands of Edinburgh University and Holyrood are met”
Amy Westwell, a Glasgow University student added, “In Scotland, we take great pride in our universities, for their excellence and accessibility. The extent to which fees have been raised is disproportionate to the financial needs of universities: this move undermines the values of the Scottish education system.”
Edinburgh University announced on the 5th of September that fees would increase from £1820 to £9000 for RUK students. St Andrews University have also set fees at the maximum threshold, and other Scottish Universities are expected to drastically increase tuition fees. There have been numerous student protests over the past year, including the occupation of Glasgow University’s Hetherington Research Club: the longest running student occupation in UK history.
- Solidarity statement with occupations around the UK
- Out From The Occupation & Off To The Pickets
- A Message of Support For Our Occupation From A Member of Staff…
- Statement from University of Edinburgh Occupation
- Edinburgh students stage sit-in in support of striking staff
- Useful resources on higher education reform
- Guest Post: What is The Value of Higher Education?
- Massive day of strikes and action against government cuts and attacks on pensions.
- Picket information for tomorrow morning
- Events in the next few days
- Wise words from our resident Soup Dragon
- Mythbuster: The truth about unions (and strikes)
- Walking bus
- Banners and giant posters!
- Our Demands
- Before casting your vote in the @eusa elections check out if the candiates believe in #freeeducation & occupations... bit.ly/1bbCn1o 2 years ago
- RT @PeterMcColl: I'm standing for Rector of @EdinburghUni today and tomorrow. Here's why: youtu.be/KAAivm3CfhE #edrector 2 years ago
- David Cameron is in Edinburgh today. Unrelated, but did you know Lidl has a great deal on boxes of 24 eggs? 2 years ago
- RT @EdUniSocialists: Rally for Rent Controls TODAY! Student bloc assembling at noon at Bristo Sq, marching on Holyrood #livingrent https://… 2 years ago
- RT @AUSAEducation: Interesting #AutumnStatement analysis: loan-based HE funding burdens us with catastrophic debt ucu.org.uk/index.cfm?arti… #f… 2 years ago
- RT @niamhdelrey: Everyone needs to watch this video and please share it about. This should not be allowed. #copsoffcampus http://t.co/sHP5q… 2 years ago
- RT @gdnstudents: "The allegations are complete lies," says a statement from one of those on bail and unable to attend. #FreeEducation #cops… 2 years ago
- RT @novaramedia: Over a thousand attending #copsoffcampus protest at @warwickuni right now #freeeducation http://t.co/1xpDEssGGr 2 years ago
- RT @NCAFC_UK: Video of Sheff Uni security chaining the fire exit shut at the occupation, illegal & disproportionate youtu.be/DGZkZEuj63Y … 2 years ago
- RT @NCAFC_UK: Sheffield University security have just locked the occupiers in with a chain on the only fire exit. #freeeducation http://t.c… 2 years ago